Wednesday 18 August 2010

If You Like It, Bookmark It!

Delicious - the most popular social bookmarking site


The best way to describe del.icio.us is to let it describe itself:

"Delicious is a social bookmarking service that allows you to tag, save, manage and share Web pages all in one place. With emphasis on the power of the community, Delicious greatly improves how people discover, remember and share on the Internet." [by Delicious]



I wish I discovered delicious before! Why? Cos it's great service for saving and sharing bookmarks. Now I can see why is so popular in the blog world by making it easy to put information hounds that collect hundreds of links to interesting web sites in once place. More of why is so cool, for me:

  • bookmarks are taggable
  • I can also attach a short note to each bookmark
  • searchable
  • easily accessed in multiple ways through any browser or RSS reader

But my experience is very short to have a right opinion so I found a good examples why and what for we could use del.icio.us from experienced delicious users:

"Delicious is, basically, a social bookmarking service. In a nutshell, that means that Delicious stores lists of bookmarks for me and tens of thousands of my closest friends, and we all get to see and search through each other's lists. Let me try to explain why this is so cool...
RSS is also well implemented throughout the site, so my Delicious list becomes a handy way to communicate. For instance, I'm currently working on a project with a friend in another state, so when I come across an article or website that I think he should read, I bookmark it with Delicious, add a unique tag that we've agreed on, and the new URL will show up in his RSS reader. Likewise, I can tell whenever he's bookmarked something with the same tag. We could just email these links to each other, of course, but once we add more people to the project, email becomes more of a hassle..." [by Stuart Maxwell (who is busy building The Louveture Project and running Seattle Real Estate Talk)]

"Del.icio.us can be approach on several levels and I believe that this is key to its success. Here are the levels as I see them:

1 - Users can go to the site and see the most recent and most popular items. This is the way that most people get started. Along the way they can't help but learn a little bit about the fact that the site uses tags to organize the items inside.

2 - Users decide to participate, and use the site to store and share their bookmarks. To do this they also have to start tagging their posts.

3 - Users start to retrieve by tag, retrieving items under their own tags and under the tags left by others, to stay abreast of a topical area.

There's a mental tipping point that comes into play here. At first people are rightfully sceptical of the entire tagging process, especially those with any familiarity or experience with the development of ontologies. The first thought is "this can't possibly work. We worked for years to design an ontology for System X and it still wasn't quite right." After a while people see that the tagging
model can and does actually work, and that it produces useful results even though no one is in charge..."
[by Jeff Barr (Web services evangelist at Amazon.com and founder of Syndic8.com, an RSS aggregation service)]

del.icio.us is compelling to me and others for the same reason the Flickr is. You can get a lot out of the system by simply using it for yourself. However, there's a lot more "social infrastructure" there if you want to tap into it. In del.icio.us you can see what other people think is popular, which tags, they use, etc...” [by Jeremy Zawodny (well-known member of the Yahoo! team and author of the interesting Zawodny's Blog)]

No comments:

Post a Comment